The Department of Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures strongly encourages study abroad as a means of cultural and linguistic immersion and typically recommends the junior year. Please see the Office of Study Abroad for information about programs, scholarships, and health and safety abroad, and consult with the departmental study abroad advisor in order to plan coursework.
Students studying Japanese have access to various study abroad possibilities around Japan, including the two UI Exchange Programs (semester or academic year) and other recommended summer programs.
UI Exchange Programs – Semester or Academic Year
- Kanda University of International Studies (Chiba)
- Nagoya University of Foreign Studies (Nagoya, Aichi)
Recommended Summer Programs
- Summer Courses in Japanese: International Christian University (Mitaka, Tokyo)
- Hokkaido International Foundation Japanese Language and Japanese Culture Program (Hakodate, Hokkaido)
- Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies (Kyoto)
- CJS Summer Program: Nanzan University (Nagoya, Aichi)
Study Abroad Scholarships
Scholarships are available for study abroad programs sponsored by The University of Iowa. For more information on scholarships and funds available to help cover the costs of travel, in addition to application procedures, contact Study Abroad at 319-335-0353, 1111 University Capitol Centre.
Students planning to study abroad in Japan are strongly encouraged to apply for scholarships, such as follows:
- UI CAPS Study Abroad in Asia Scholarship (for Spring, Summer, and Fall)
- UI Stanley Summer Scholarships (for Summer)
- Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
- Critical Language Scholarships
- Freeman-ASIA Awards for Study in Asia